Shenton Park Rehab Hospital
- Victoria House
Victoria House, once part of the Shenton Park Rehabilitation Hospital, is a heritage-listed building. Originally known as the Royal Perth Rehabilitation Hospital, it was constructed from 1937 and first provided isolation care for smallpox patients. Other infectious diseases that were treated here include: measles, venereal diseases, diphtheria, scarlet fever and tuberculosis (inHerit, 2020).
It wasn't until the early 1960's did the hospital embody its association with rehabilitation therapy for chronically ill or injured people.
The Hospital closed on 04 October 2014 and the rehabilitation services was moved to the newly built Fiona Stanley Hospital.
The site is now being redeveloped as Landcorp's Montario Quarter with residential townhouses and apartments for more than 2,000 people being built on the 8487sqm site and Victoria House being restored. It is named after Sir George Montario Bedbrook after his "ground-breaking work in treating and rehabilitating paraplegia patients at the hospital" (Commercial Real Estate, 2019).
01 - August 2020
02 - February 2021