Old St Francis Xavier Church
Temporary post. Full write-up pending
By the time I photographed the old St Francis Xavier Church in Armadale in 2021 and 2022, both the interior and exterior were covered in the usual graffiti crap, although there were a few genuinely artistic pieces inside. These photos have been digitally cleaned up because I'm more interested in documenting the historic building than the graffiti that covered it.
I'm sure these cleaned-up photos will offend a few people.
St Francis Xavier Church was built in 1912-1913 as the first Roman Catholic church in Armadale after local resident Kate Wilkinson donated the land. Designed by architect Richard Joseph Dennehy in the Federation Romanesque style, construction began after Bishop Patrick Clune laid the foundation stone on 11 August 1912 before what newspapers described as the largest gathering ever seen in Armadale. Until then, the district had no Catholic church, with Mass being held twice a month in the Agricultural Hall using a temporary altar. Although only the first stage of a much larger church was built, it was designed so it could be expanded as Armadale continued to grow.
.jpg)
The church officially opened on 17 March 1913 after years of fundraising by the local Catholic community. It cost about £800 to build, with more than £338 already raised towards the debt. The project was completed by builder Joseph Hart after the original contractor was unable to finish the work. Built from locally made Armadale pressed bricks on concrete foundations, the church featured an open Oregon timber roof, a jarrah-lined ceiling, steel casement windows with cathedral leadlight glass and walls painted to resemble stonework. One of its most distinctive features was a jarrah altar made from timber salvaged from the old Fremantle wharf, which Father Brennan believed was the only altar of its kind.
The opening attracted visitors from Perth, local residents and railway workers helping construct the nearby railway, many of whom had also contributed financially towards the church. Father Brennan publicly thanked both Catholics and non-Catholics for their generosity and practical support, while Bishop Clune, Mr Marian of Armadale and Mrs Wilkinson of the Olde Narrogin Inn guaranteed a £500 bank loan that allowed the church to be completed.
As Armadale's Catholic population continued to grow, a new church school was built beside the church and officially opened in January 1938. Designed and built by Horace Costello at a cost of £870, the school opened with around 50 students and was staffed by the Sisters of Mercy from Queen's Park. Archbishop Redmond Prendiville said the school reflected the rapid growth taking place across both Armadale and the wider archdiocese.
The church served Armadale's growing Catholic community for more than 60 years. When the parish outgrew the building, a new St Francis Xavier Church opened in 1976 and services moved there. The original church remained part of the Catholic precinct but was eventually left vacant, where it became heavily vandalised and covered in graffiti.
Despite this, much of its original brickwork and architectural detail survived beneath the paint, although these photos have been cleaned up because we're more interested in the historic building than the graffiti covering it. Despite the extensive vandalism, there were a few genuinely artistic pieces among the graffiti inside the church.
The building is recognised by the City of Armadale for its heritage significance (p.280) as Armadale's first Roman Catholic church and as an important part of the St Francis Xavier church, school and headmaster's residence precinct.
February 2021

November 2022

Armadale The Manse House
In 1903, the Armadale Congregational Church was built on land donated by pioneer Thomas Saw. This was Armadale’s first church under the Congregational denomination, a Protestant tradition where each local congregation governs itself rather than being ruled by bishops or synods (formal meetings or councils of church leaders). They emphasised independence, the authority of each congregation and simple worship free from rigid liturgy (formal, structured order of worship used in a church).
A few years later in 1907, the congregation built a house for their minister right next to the church. It was called “The Manse”, the traditional name for a pastor’s residence. It was a Federation Queen Anne designed cottage built with red brick, corrugated iron roof and a wide bull-nose verandah.
For decades, it was the home to successive Congregational pastors who lived next door to the church community they served.
Dale Christian School
By the early 1980s, Armadale was growing so the church decided to launch a new project: Dale Christian School. The school opened its doors in July 1983, with two classes totalling 21 students. The classrooms were divided between the church hall and the Manse, making the house one of the school’s first teaching spaces.
The school was co-educational, so boys and girls were taught together right from the start. While the parish owned the property, the school was run under a board and principal. The age range of the students isn’t recorded and given the small size of pupils in the classrooms, it was almost certainly primary-aged children.
The school arrangement lasted for just over two years until in late 1985, the church purchased the site of the former Dale Drive-In cinema on Forrest Road to expand the school. (The drive-in had closed the previous year on 4 November 1984, after its final screening.) The move allowed the growing school to develop proper facilities.
From Manse to Restaurant
With the church buildings gone (the 1903 chapel itself was dismantled brick by brick and re-erected in Minnawarra Park in 1988), the Manse remained on its original block. Rather than being sold off as an ordinary house, it became repurposed.
In May 1988, local couple Alex and Kerry Koers went on to open The Manse Restaurant. Chef Gary Smith would later take over it, running it for nearly three decades.
The restaurant specialised in contemporary Australian fine dining and quickly earned a reputation as one of Armadale’s leading dining venues. Over time, it became a much-loved local favourite, known for its quality food, reliable service and cosy atmosphere. The Manse even picked up major industry awards, including a Gold Plate Award in 1997 (p.35) and recognition from the Restaurant & Catering Industry Association.
Closure During COVID
By the late 2010s, running a fine-dining restaurant in the suburbs had become increasingly difficult. Rising costs, changes in eating-out habits and small margins made it a constant challenge. When the COVID-19 pandemic hit in early 2020, it pushed the business over the edge.
Restrictions on dining and the financial strain made it impossible to keep going. In March 2020, Gary and Sue Smith announced the permanent closure of The Manse. Health concerns and the uncertainties of the hospitality industry sealed the decision. After 32 years, Armadale’s first fine-dining venue was gone.
Threat of Demolition
In August 2021, a development application proposing demolition (p.54) appeared on the City of Armadale’s website, sparking public outcry.
Heritage advocates pointed out that the Manse was one of the few remaining early 20th-century brick houses in the city centre, built in 1907 and was still recognisable from early photos. Heritage consultant Ian Boersma argued that it was also tied to Armadale’s early brickmaking industry and deserved protection.
Locals rallied, saying too many historic buildings in Armadale had already been lost. The Manse was listed on the City’s Local Heritage Survey (Category 2) (p.145), but this didn’t guarantee its safety. The future of the building became a matter of debate, balancing private ownership against community heritage.
The Minnawarra Historic Precinct
Meanwhile, the old Congregational church built next to The Manse House had been moved to the Minnawarra Historic Precinct in 1988.
Errol Green, a local builder bought the bricks from the church and stored them on his property. The bricks were donated back and the church was rebuilt in Minnawarra Park. He also owned the manse and leased it out. He eventually sold it to Gary at a good price (Thanks to Irene Bettridge for this info).
The precinct is a heritage park in central Armadale that brings together relocated historic buildings. There, the church became the Minnawarra Chapel, overlooking the lake in Minnawarra Park alongside the relocated 1899 schoolhouse and the History House Museum.
February 2025

.png)


























































