top of page
38 - Como Beach Bridge

Como Beach Bridge

Life in Como

Prior to the construction of the Como Theatre, the suburb itself is located an approximate seven kilometres from Perth City and was commonly referred to as a “respectable, family-orientated” suburb. With a particular focus on the 1930s, the shallow, safe and clean waters of Como Beach attracted young families. A ferry from Como Jetty (built in 1907) at the bottom of Preston Road serviced the city (as well as Coode Street and Canning Bridge jetties), with a tram travelling from Mends Street Jetty to Como Jetty.


The trams in particular, helped transform the area “into a crowded resort, complete with dancehalls, refreshment kiosks, cinema and a roller skating rink.” The first tram service began in October 1926 with the last running at midnight on 10 June 1950, when it was permanently replaced by buses. A restored B class tram is currently on display, next to Heritage House in Windsor Park, South Perth.


The main section of Como Beach is located on the western end of Preston Street, where the 210 metre long jetty remains today.


Since the Kwinana Freeway was built from 1956, isolating the beach from Como itself, patronage in the area sadly declined and never recovered, despite a pedestrian overpass being constructed over the freeway.


It’s hard to imagine Como Beach, officially declared a public beach in 1911, being so popular with as many as 7,000 holiday makers coming to camp on the beach or the adjacent Como Reserve (now the Swanview Commercial Building).


On a typical day, as many as 3,000 people made use of the beach alone! Sadly, camping was no longer permitted from 1919, due to the mounting pressures on facilities.

bottom of page